This is the fifth look in my ‘American Football Teams’ inspired series. The Minnesota Vikings’ colours are white, yellow and purple. I used more muted, shimmery shades for this look as I wanted to create a softer effect on the eyes. You could use matte or stronger hues of these shades to create a bolder version of the look.
There are also a couple of full face shots at the end of the post, in case you want to see how the whole look comes together.
Tip: Using eyeshadows with a different finish can change the intensity of a look. Matte shades can come out stronger, whilst shimmery or pearl versions of colours can create a more muted effect on the eyes.
Here’s how to re-create this look:
Click here to read my article ‘Parts of the Eye’ for help on where to place eyeshadow colours.
Base: Urban Decay Primer Potion in Original (clear)
Crease: Urban Decay Flash eyeshadow (medium shimmery bright purple)
Outer Lid: MAC Bright Sunshine eyeshadow (light shimmery sunshine yellow)
Lid: MAC White Frost eyeshadow (shimmery true white)
Highlight: MAC Blanc Type eyeshadow (light matte cream beige)
Upper Lashline: MAC Black-Tied eyeshadow (deep satin black with sparkles)
Lower Lashline: MAC White Frost eyeshadow+MAC Bright Sunshine eyeshadow+MAC White Frost eyeshadow (as above)
1. Apply Primer Potion all over the lid as a base. You can either use your fingers or a flat synthetic brush (e.g. MAC 242).
2. Sweep Flash into the crease using a windshield wiper motion (e.g. MAC 217).
3. Take a flat shader brush (e.g. MAC 239) and pat Bright Sunshine on the outer part of the lid.
4. Take a flat shader brush (e.g. MAC 239) and pat White Frost on the rest of the lid. Overlap this very slightly with where it meets the yellow (outer lid shade) and purple (crease shade) to help the shades blend together. Don’t take it too far into the outer lid/crease area, as you want to keep the intensity of the purple and yellow.
5. Using a crease/blender brush (e.g. MAC 217) or a pointed crease brush (e.g. MAC 226), sweep Blanc Type on to the browbone to highlight and blend out the edges of the crease colour. Using a matte highlighter shade helps to ‘clean up’ and freshen the eye when using shimmery shades elsewhere on the lid.
6. Take an angled eyeliner brush (e.g. MAC 266) and apply a thin line of Black-Tied along the upper lashline. I used an eyeshadow for this step as I wanted to keep the overall look very soft. You can use a black pencil eyeliner or gel eyeliner if you would prefer to have a more defined effect along the upper lashline.
7. Take a pencil brush (e.g. MAC 219) and apply Flash to the outer lower lashline. Take the same brush and apply White Frost to the inner lower lashline. Take the same brush and apply Bright Sunshine to the middle of the lower lashline. Lightly sweep the brush (or a clean finger) over the line to help soften and blend the shades together.
8. Apply plenty of black mascara to the top and bottom lashes.
Here a few more pictures of the finished look (scroll down to see some full face shots):
Looking for more eyeshadow combinations inspired by American football team colours? Click here to see more looks.