The sun was shining last week and so I designed a look to complement a summery outfit of pale blue and coral. I also used a little brown eyeshadow along the upper lashline to add some very soft definition to the eyes.
Tip: Using eyeshadow as eyeliner is a good way of adding subtle definition to the eyes. It also means you don’t have to invest in extra eyeliners, making it a good technique for saving money!
Here’s how to re-create this look:
Click here to read my article ‘Parts of the Eye’ for help on where to place eyeshadow colours.
Base: Urban Decay Primer Potion in Original (clear)
Crease: MAC Coral eyeshadow (matte bright coral)
Outer v: MAC Hot Hot Hot eyeshadow (medium matte bright coral red)
Lid: MAC Sky Blue eyeshadow (light satin sky blue)
Highlight: MAC Shroom eyeshadow (light satin beige)
Upper Lashline: MAC Embark eyeshadow (deep matte dark brown)
Lower Lashline: MAC Sky Blue eyeshadow (as above) + MAC Hot Hot Hot eyeshadow (as above)
Black mascara (upper and lower lashes)
1. Apply Primer Potion all over the lid as a base. You can either use your fingers or a flat synthetic brush (e.g. MAC 242).
2. Sweep Hot Hot Hot into the crease using a windshield wiper motion (e.g. MAC 217).
3. Take a crease/blender brush (e.g. MAC 217) and apply Hot Hot Hot to the outer v. Take a little of Hot Hot Hot down into the outer lid as well to further shape the eye. I used a crease/blender brush for this step as I wanted softer definition in the outer v. You can use a smaller pencil brush (e.g. MAC 219) if you want a stronger effect.
4. Take a flat shader brush (e.g. MAC 239) and pat Sky Blue on to the eyelid.
5. Using a crease/blender brush (e.g. MAC 217) or a pointed crease brush (e.g. MAC 226), sweep Shroom on to the browbone to highlight and further blend out the edges of the crease colour.
6. Take an angled eyeliner brush (e.g. MAC 266) and apply a thin line of Embark along the upper lashline. I used a brown eyeshadow in this step as I wanted very natural, soft definition along the lashline. You can use a brown pencil eyeliner if you want a stronger effect.
7. Take an angled eyeliner brush (e.g. MAC 266) and apply Sky blue along the lower lashline. Take the same brush and apply a little Hot Hot Hot along the outer lower lashline.
8. Apply black mascara to the top and bottom lashes.
Here’s one more picture of the finished look: