For this look, I combined various shades of green eyeshadow to create an elongated effect on the eyes. Concentrating darker eyeshadows in the outer v gives the eyes a very crisp, defined shape.
Here’s how to re-create this look:
Click here to read my article ‘Parts of the Eye’ for help on where to place eyeshadow colours.
Base: Urban Decay Primer Potion in Original (clear)
Outer v: MAC Bottlegreen eyeshadow (dark matte bottlegreen)
Lid: MAC Greensmoke eyeshadow (medium sparkly silver-olive green)
Blend Crease: MakeUpGeek Dirty Martini eyeshadow (medium matte moss green)
Highlight: MAC Ricepaper eyeshadow (light shimmery cream-gold)
Lower Lashline: MAC Greensmoke eyeshadow (as above)
Outer Lower Lashline: MAC Bottlegreen eyeshadow (as above)
Black mascara (upper and lower lashes)
1. Apply Primer Potion all over the lid as a base. You can either use your fingers or a flat synthetic brush (e.g. MAC 242).
2. Take a pencil brush (e.g. MAC 219) and apply Bottlegreen to the outer v of the eye. Flick the eyeshadow out slightly at the outer corners to create an elongated, cat eye effect. I used a pencil brush for this step to create a very crisp, defined effect in the outer v. Don’t worry if the edges of the eyeshadow look very sharp; we are going for a defined look, rather than a blended effect on the eyes.
3. Take a flat shader brush (e.g. MAC 239) and pat Greensmoke on to the eyelid. Try to not sweep Greensmoke too high on the eyelid as we are trying to create an elongated effect on the eyes. Take Greensmoke only as high as the Bottlegreen eyeshadow in the outer v. Overlap very slightly with the edges of Bottlegreen to help the two colours meld together.
4. Sweep Dirty Martini lightly into the crease using a windshield wiper motion (e.g. MAC 217). The idea here is to very slightly soften the edges from the eyeshadows in stages 2 and 3. I used a green-toned eyeshadow for this step so that it would blend in with the other two colours on the lid.
5. Using a crease/blender brush (e.g. MAC 217) or a pointed crease brush (e.g. MAC 226), sweep Ricepaper on to the browbone to highlight.
6. Take an angled eyeliner brush (e.g. MAC 266) and apply Greensmoke to the lower lashline. Take the same angled eyeliner brush and apply Bottlegreen along the outer lower lashline. Applying the eyeshadows along the lower lashline helps to finish off the eye.
7. Apply black mascara to the top and bottom lashes.
Here’s one more picture of the finished look: