Today’s look for the Rainbow Series is based around BLUE, the fifth colour in the rainbow. I’ve not combined bright blue with hot pink before so I thought it would be a fun combination to try out. I think this is one of my favourite colour combinations from the series so far!
The Rainbow Series includes looks based around each of the colours of the rainbow. You can read about the series and view more posts here.
Tip: I’m using the Urban Decay Full Spectrum Palette for all of the looks but you can substitute in eyeshadows from any brand. The NYX Ultimate Shadow Palette in ‘Brights’ is a great dupe for the Urban Decay Full Spectrum and cheaper (£16 instead of £43). You can view the NYX Palette here.
Click here to read my article ‘Parts of the Eye’ for help on where to place eyeshadow colours.
Base: Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer in White (matte white)
Outer Lid/Outer V: Urban Decay Gossip eyeshadow (deep satin bright fuschia-pink)
Lid: Urban Decay Blindsided eyeshadow (bright satin turquoise)
Blend Between Lid and Outer V: Urban Decay Faded eyeshadow (medium satin cool purple with silver sparkles)
Blend Crease: Urban Decay Faded eyeshadow (as above)
Inner Corner: Urban Decay Metamorphosis eyeshadow (medium satin periwinkle-blue)
Highlight: MAC Blanc Type eyeshadow (light matte cream beige)
Lower Lashline: Urban Decay Blindsided and Metamorphosis eyeshadows (as above)
Black mascara (upper and lower lashes)
1. Apply Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer all over the lid as a base. You can either use your fingers or a flat synthetic brush (e.g. MAC 242).
2. Take a flat shader brush (e.g. MAC 272, MAC 239) and pat Gossip on the outer part of the lid. Take Gossip up slightly and wing the colour out to create a ‘v’ shape in the outer v.
3. Take a flat shader brush (e.g. MAC 239) and pat Blindsided on to the lid.
4. Take a flat shader brush (e.g. MAC 239, MAC 272) and apply Faded on the edges just where Gossip and Blindsided meet. This step helps Gossip and Blindsided blend together more effectively, as well as adding a pretty purple-ish hue to the look.
5. Take a crease/blender brush (e.g. MAC 217) and use Faded to blend out the edges of Blindsided in the crease.
6. Take a flat shader brush (e.g. MAC 239) and lightly pat Metamorphosis in the inner corners.
7. Using a crease/blender brush (e.g. MAC 217) or a pointed crease brush (e.g. MAC 226), sweep Blanc Type on to the browbone to highlight.
8. Take an eyeliner brush (e.g. MAC 266) and apply Blindsided along the middle-outer part of the lower lashline. Take the same brush and apply Metamorphosis to the inner part of the lower lashline.
9. Apply plenty of black mascara to the top and bottom lashes.
Here’s another close-up of the eyes:
Here are some full face photos to show how the whole look comes together:
To complement the look: I used Kiko Radiant Baked Blush in About A Coral’ as a blusher (you can read more about this product, see photos and view swatches here), Pixi Subtle Sunrise Glow-y Gossamer Duo (light gold shade on left side of compact) to highlight the cheekbones and Rimmel The Only 1 Matte Lipstick in 200 It’s a Keeper (you can read more about this product, see photos and view swatches here).
Next up: Indigo Rainbow! Keep a look out for the next installment in my new Rainbow Series!