Using eyeshadows from the same colour family keeps things simple, as you can shape the eye without having to work out how to combine different colours. This look can be varied by replacing the blue with light, medium and dark eyeshadows from other colour families, such as green (as viewed in the ‘Shades of Green’ look), purple or brown.
Here’s how to re-create this look:
Base: Urban Decay Primer Potion in Original (clear)
Crease: MAC Prussian eyeshadow (matte deep dark navy)
Outer Lid: MAC Atlantic Blue eyeshadow (deep matte royal blue)
Middle of Lid: MAC Suave Intentions eyeshadow (medium shimmery navy)
Inner Lid: MAC Sky Blue eyeshadow (light satin sky blue)
Highlight: MAC Brule eyeshadow (light matte beige)
Outer Lower Lashline: MAC Atlantic Blue eyeshadow (as above)
Middle Lower Lashline: MAC Suave Intentions eyeshadow (as above)
Inner Lower Lashline: MAC Sky Blue eyeshadow (as above)
Black mascara (upper and lower lashes)
1. Apply Primer Potion all over the lid as a base. You can either use your fingers or a flat synthetic brush (e.g. MAC 242).
2. Sweep Prussian into the crease using a windshield wiper motion (e.g. MAC 217). Take a little of Prussian into the outer lid as well. Applying a dark colour to the crease/outer lid helps to shape/define the eye. This step really helps in this type of look, as using eyeshadows from the same colour family can sometime make the eye look a little ‘flat’.
3. Apply Atlantic Blue on to the outer eyelid using a gentle patting motion (e.g. MAC 239).
4. Apply Suave Intentions to the middle of the eyelid using a gentle patting motion (e.g. MAC 239).
5. Apply Sky Blue to the inner part of the eyelid using a gentle patting motion (e.g. MAC 239).
6. If you find that the colours do not look nicely blended together, take a little of each shade at a time so that they overlap. For example, pat a little more of Suave Intentions just over where it meets Atlantic Blue. You can also apply a little more of Sky Blue just where it meets the edges of Suave Intentions. Overlapping colours very slightly in this way helps them to transition smoothly into one another.
7. Using a crease/blender brush (e.g. MAC 217) or a pointed crease brush (e.g. MAC 226), sweep Brule on to the browbone to highlight and further blend out the edges of the crease colour.
8. Take a pencil brush (e.g. MAC 219) and apply Atlantic Blue to the outer lower lashline, Suave Intentions to the middle lower lashline and Sky Blue to the inner lower lashline. The application along the lower lashline mirrors the placement of colours on the upper eyelid and helps to shape the eye. Run your finger very lightly over the lower lashline to lightly smudge out/soften the colours.
9. Apply black mascara to the top and bottom lashes.
Here’s one more picture of the finished look: