Today’s look for the Rainbow Series is based around YELLOW, the third colour in the rainbow. I decided to combine yellow with hot pink and purple to create a bright, spring-like effect on the eyes. You can view full face shots, along with the cheek and lip colours I used, in this post.
The Rainbow Series includes looks based around each of the colours of the rainbow. You can read about the series and view more posts here.
Tip: I’m using the Urban Decay Full Spectrum Palette for all of the looks but you can substitute in eyeshadows from any brand. The NYX Ultimate Shadow Palette in ‘Brights’ is a great dupe for the Urban Decay Full Spectrum and cheaper (£16 instead of £43). You can view the NYX Palette here.
Click here to read my article ‘Parts of the Eye’ for help on where to place eyeshadow colours.
Base: Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer in White (matte white)
Crease/Outer Lid: Urban Decay Sketch eyeshadow (deep satin violet-purple)
Lid: Urban Decay Calavera eyeshadow (satin bright canary yellow)
Outer Lid: Urban Decay Gossip eyeshadow (deep satin bright fuschia-pink)
Inner Lid: Urban Decay Bump eyeshadow (light matte white)
Blend Crease: Urban Decay Faded eyeshadow (medium satin cool purple with silver sparkles)
Highlight: MAC Blanc Type eyeshadow (light matte cream beige)
Lower Lashline: Urban Decay Bump, Calavera, Sketch and Gossip eyeshadows (as above)
Black mascara (upper and lower lashes)
1. Apply Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer all over the lid as a base. You can either use your fingers or a flat synthetic brush (e.g. MAC 242).
2. Take a crease/blender brush and sweep Sketch into the crease of the eye. Apply the Sketch to the outer part of the lid as well to help shape the eye.
3. Take a flat shader brush (e.g. MAC 239) and pat Calavera on to the lid.
4. Take a flat shader brush (e.g. MAC 272) and pat Gossip on to the outer part of the lid. Apply the colour to just where Calavera and Sketch meet to add a pop pf pink between the two shades.
5. Take the same flat shader brush (e.g. MAC 239, MAC 228) and pat Bump on to the inner part of the lid.
6. Take Faded on to a crease/blender brush (e.g. MAC 217, MAC 226). Use the tip of the brush in the crease to blend out the edges of Sketch.
7. Using a crease/blender brush (e.g. MAC 217) or a pointed crease brush (e.g. MAC 226), sweep Blanc Type on to the browbone to highlight.
8. Take an eyeliner brush (e.g. MAC 266) and Calavera to the lower lashline. Take the same brush and apply Gossip to the middle-outer part of the lower lashline and Sketch to the outer part of the lower lashline. Take the same brush and apply Bump to the inner part of the lower lashline.
9. Apply plenty of black mascara to the top and bottom lashes.
Here’s another close-up of the eyes:
Here are some full face photos to show how the whole look comes together:
To complement the look: I used Kiko Radiant Baked Blush in About A Coral as a blusher (you can read more about this product here), Kiko Glow Fusion Powder Highlighter in 01 Champagne (you can read more about this product here) to highlight the cheekbones and Bare Minerals Gen Nude Lipstick in Kitten to add some subtle colour to the lips.
Next up: Green Rainbow! Keep a look out for the next installment in my new Rainbow Series!