Today’s look for the Rainbow Series is based around INDIGO, the sixth colour in the rainbow. I was a little bit nervous about this colour, as I don’t normally wear dark, satin shades on my lid. I like how it turned out, though, which shows it can be fun to experiment with different looks. You can view full face shots, along with the cheek and lip colours I used, in this post.
The Rainbow Series includes looks based around each of the colours of the rainbow. You can read about the series and view more posts here.
Tip: I’m using the Urban Decay Full Spectrum Palette for all of the looks but you can substitute in eyeshadows from any brand. The NYX Ultimate Shadow Palette in ‘Brights’ is a great dupe for the Urban Decay Full Spectrum and cheaper (£16 instead of £43). You can view the NYX Palette here.
Click here to read my article ‘Parts of the Eye’ for help on where to place eyeshadow colours.
Base: Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer in White (matte white)
Crease: Urban Decay Mean eyeshadow (light satin lime)
Deepen Crease: Urban Decay Paranoia eyeshadow (medium metallic warm pink)
Lid: Urban Decay Minx eyeshadow (deep satin Indigo)
Inner Corners: Urban Decay Iced eyeshadow (light sparkly greyish-white)
Highlight: MAC Blanc Type eyeshadow (light matte cream beige)
Lower Lashline: Urban Decay Minx and Iced eyeshadows (as above)
Black mascara (upper and lower lashes)
1. Apply Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer all over the lid as a base. You can either use your fingers or a flat synthetic brush (e.g. MAC 242).
2. Sweep Mean into the crease using a windshield wiper motion (e.g. MAC 217).
3. Take a crease/blender brush (e.g. MAC 226, MAC 217) and use Paranoia to deepen the crease.
4. Take a flat shader brush (e.g. MAC 239) and pat Minx on to the lid.
5. Take a small flat shader brush (e.g. MAC 228) and pat Iced on the inner part of the eye.
6. Using a crease/blender brush (e.g. MAC 217) or a pointed crease brush (e.g. MAC 226), sweep Blanc Type on to the browbone to highlight.
7. Take an eyeliner brush (e.g. MAC 266) and apply Minx to the lower lashline. Take the same brush and apply Iced to the inner part of the lower lashline.
8. Apply plenty of black mascara to the top and bottom lashes.
Here’s another close-up of the eyes:
Here are some full face photos of the look:
To complement the look: I used Kiko Radiant Baked Blush in About A Coral as a blusher (you can read more about this product here), Kiko Glow Fusion Powder Highlighter in 01 Champagne (you can read more about this product here) to highlight the cheekbones and Bare Minerals Gen Nude Lipstick in XOXO to add some subtle colour to the lips.
Next up: Violet Rainbow! Keep a look out for the next installment in my new Rainbow Series!