The first look in my Bird Series (you can read more about the series here) is based around the African Grey Parrot. I’ve had exposure to this beautiful bird over the years and thought it would be a fun place to start the series.
The African Grey Parrot (see photo below) has a striking colour scheme of grey, white and black, with bright scarlet tail feathers at the back. For this look, I incorporated the greys, white and red on the lid, along with black liner on the upper lashline. I also used a soft red lipstick on the lips to mimic the vivid red tail feathers.
You can view full face shots, along with the cheek and lip colours I used, in this post.
The Bird Series includes looks based around different types of birds and their colour schemes. You can read more about the series and view posts here.
Tip: I’m using the NYX Swear By IT Eyeshadow Palette, along with a couple of shades from the Kat Von D Saint and Sinner Palette, for this look. You can view posts on the site featuring the NYX Palette here and the Kat Von D palette here.
Click here to read my article ‘Parts of the Eye’ for help on where to place eyeshadow colours.
Base: Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer in White (matte white)
Crease: NYX shade 16 (metallic gunmetal silver)
Outer Lid: Kat Von D Stigmata (medium metallic coppery pink-red)
Lid: Kat Von D Amen (light matte beige)
Lid: Kat Von D Absolution (light white-gold with sparkles
Highlight: NYX Shade 5 eyeshadow (light matte cream beige)
Upper Lashline: Maybelline Master Precise Liquid Eyeliner Pen (black)
Lower Lashline: NYX Shade 16 (as above)
Outer Lower Lashline: Kat Von D Stigmata (as above)
Black mascara (upper and lower lashes)
1. Apply Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer all over the lid as a base. You can either use your fingers or a flat synthetic brush (e.g. MAC 242).
2. Sweep shade 16 into the crease using a windshield wiper motion (e.g. MAC 217).
3. Take a flat shader brush (e.g. MAC 272, MAC 239) and pat Stigmata on to the outer part of the lid. Apply it at a slight angle to add some shape to the eyes.
4. Take a flat shader brush (e.g. MAC 272, MAC 239) and pat Amen on the lid.
5. Use a clean finger to gently pat Absolution on the lid, right over where you applied Amen. I included this step as I wanted to add a little more sparkle and sheen to the lids.
6. Using a crease/blender brush (e.g. MAC 217) or a pointed crease brush (e.g. MAC 226), sweep Shade 5 on to the browbone to highlight.
7. Take a black liquid liner and apply a very thin line along the upper lashline.
8. Take an eyeliner brush (e.g. MAC 266) and apply Shade 16 along the lower lashline. Take the same eyeliner brush (e.g. MAC 266) and apply Stigmata to the outer lower lashline.
9. Apply plenty of black mascara to the top and bottom lashes.
Here’s another close-up of the eyes:
Here are some full face shots of the look:
To complement the look: I used Kiko Baked Blush in 01 Marmoreal Biscuit on the cheeks (you can read more about this product, see swatches and view photos here), Too Faced Sweethearts Bronzer in Sweet Tea to add warmth to the face (you can read more about this product, see photos and view swatches here), Kiko Glow Fusion Powder Highlighter in 01 Champagne (you can read more about this product, see photos and view swatches here) to highlight my cheekbones and MAC Cremesheen Lipstick in Sweet Sakura on the lips.